Base Loaded 160m Half-sloper antenna
I wanted to have a resonant antenna on 160M so this is what I came up with.
- 3in PVC tube
- PVC Caps
- Mirror Mount Bracket
- ~66ft of Flex-weave wire
- 12awg solid copper wire
- Spade type connectors
- PVC cement
- Miscellaneous hardware
Construction is pretty straight forward
- Drill end caps for 3/8-24 hardware
- Ring connector on end of wire that was fed through PVC tube for cap.
- wrap wire around coil form. Every so often place a tap (spade connector). Closely wind wire and wide space taps for big jumps in inductance. Closely tap wire and increase space on winding for small jumps in inductance.
- finish off wire with ring connector and assemble last end connector.
- Drill very small “breather” hole in one end cap
- Put female connectors on a length of wire that will be your jumper.
- I used this on the mobile with a small mast and 56in whip for 80m.
- Sometimes when I’m really motivated I will solder all taps
- coil is wrapped in tape to keep it from shifting.
- spacing between wire affects amount of inductance
- spring on end cap was used to provide some give for wire
- 1:1 VSWR at 1.9Mhz. 9:1 at both ends of the band
- If you can find end caps that are squared off and flat instead of rounded you will make things easier on yourself.